Philo Crippin House
This Greek Revival home was built in 1846 by Philo Crippen and purchased in 1857 by a lawyer, Henry C. Gilbert. Gilbert was appointed Indian Agent for the State of Michigan by President Pierce in 1853. Indian artifact and other memorabilia collected by Gilbert during this period are on display at Mackinaw Island’s Indian Museum. The house was owned by five generations of the family spanning 199 years. The main block of the house is framed in 9” by 9” pegged hand hewn beams, and the roof rafters are bark covered tamarack posts.