Tyre Lodge 18 – Coldwater Masonic Temple
Built in 1869 and originally designed by Marcellus Parker, this structure has served three very different capacities. First it housed the Henry Clay Lewis vast art and statuary collection; it was considered the largest and best art collection west of New York City. The original building featured 25-foot ceilings, steam heat and skylights. Approximately 1,000 art pieces were displayed. The Young Men’s Christian Association (Y.M.C.A.) owned and operated this building from 1896 to 1914. The Masons purchased it in 1915. The façade of this building was then remodeled with a Hacienda Revival style featuring a large front porch and stucco on the exterior walls. A fire on April 6, 1954, caused $85,000 in damage and led to more alterations and remodeling. This temple is also home of the oldest chapter of the Eastern Star in the world. Coldwater’s chapter was originally number three, but when Rochester and Adrian lost their charters, Coldwater was given the honor of being number one.